Terms & Conditions
THE BEANO - COMPETITION
This Website is owned and operated by D C Thomson & Company
Limited ("D C Thomson"), a limited company registered in Scotland.
These rules are the terms and conditions that you must agree to in
order to use this Website (the "Rules").
1. AGE RESTRICTIONS
- To use this Website you must be over the age of 5
- If you are younger than 18:
- you must show your mother, father or guardian these Rules and
they must have then given you permission to use this Website,
- unless your mother, father or guardian have told you otherwise,
you must be supervised at all times by your mother, father or
guardian when using this Website
- If you are a mother, father or guardian of a user of this
Website who is under the age of 18 then you must agree to these
terms and conditions in respect of yourself and your child, and
make sure that your child understands and complies with them.
Unless you agree that your child can use this Website without
supervision, you must supervise your child's use of this Website at
all times. You are responsible for your child's use of this Website
(supervised or unsupervised).
2. YOUR DATA
- We will always treat your personal data according to our
Privacy Statement. Details of the personal data that we collect
about you is contained in the Privacy Statement.
- You have the right to delete your account and all material that
you have contributed to this Website by visiting this page.
- If you choose, or you are provided with, a username, password
or any other piece of information as part of our security
procedures, you must treat such information as confidential
(secret) and not share it with anyone else.
3. USE OF INTERACTIVE FEATURES
- If you join in with any forums, chats, comments or other
interactive features on this Website you must agree to the
following rules of use of those features:
- Do not post anything about your friends, family or other
people. For example you must not post the name, address or
telephone number of your friends, parents or guardians or teachers
to this Website;
- Do not say anything about anyone that is not true;
- Do not post anything that you do not have permission to post
(for example, you will probably not have permission to post music
that you have downloaded from the internet);
- Do not post anything that is illegal, offensive, pornographic,
rude, racist, sexist, discriminatory or defamatory;
- Do not post anything that is deliberately meant to upset anyone
- Do not offer to buy, sell or trade anything from or to other
users of this Website;
- Do not post viruses, trojans or other malware;
- Do respect other users of the Website;
- Do tell your parents (or, if you are an adult, tell us) if you
think any other user of this Website has breached these rules. You
can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or at the address below.
- We may post information about celebrities from time to time and
you may wish to talk about them on this Website That is allowed,
but you must still follow the above rules.
- You must never give your name, address, age, telephone number,
email address, MSN, Skype, AOL, Yahoo, Google or other instant
messaging or chat username, password or other personal information
to other users of this Website.
- We may use your contributions to this Website in other ways,
for example in our comics.
- We may also use your user name and other details about you
alongside your contributions in other publications.
- You promise that any comments, pictures, music, audio or other
media that you post on this Website (your contributions) are your
own work and not copied from anyone else.
- You give DC Thomson the everlasting permission to publish your
contributions on this Website and elsewhere, including in other
media (for example, in DC Thomson's comics), anywhere in the
- DC Thomson will not be required to pay you for this right nor
get any further permission from you to deal with your contributions
in any way.
- You will not be able to withdraw this permission so please do
not make any contribution to this Website that you do not want to
be used in this way.
4. KEEPING SAFE ON THIS WEBSITE
If you are a child:
- YOU MUST NEVER TELL ANYONE WHAT SCHOOL YOU GO TO OR TELL THEM
WHERE YOU LIVE.
- YOU MUST NEVER AGREE TO MEET ANYONE FROM THIS WEBSITE IN REAL
LIFE UNLESS YOU MEET THEM WITH YOUR PARENTS OR GUARDIAN.
- If anyone ever asks you for your telephone number or address or
details of your school, DO NOT REPLY. DO tell your mother, father
or guardian straight away.
- You should check out the KidSmart website which will tell you
about the dangers of using the Internet.
If you are an adult:
- You must not use forums, chats, comments or other interactive
features on this Website which are marked for children only or with
an age limit. You must never ask anyone you believe to be a child
for their personal details.
5. PERSONAL USE ONLY
- You are only allowed to use this website for your own personal
use. You are not allowed to use this Website for commercial use.
For example, you are not allowed to copy anything from this Website
so that you can sell it.
- We do not allow screen-scraping, caching, or data extraction
from, or an programmatic access to, our website. If you own or
operate a robot or a computer system or software that does this,
you need to contact us to gain our permission. You are not allowed
to use this website in any manner for which it has not been
designed, including by trying to gain access to protected areas of
this website without proper authorisation.
6. ENDING YOUR USE OF THIS WEBSITE
- We may stop you from using this Website, or ask you to stop
using this Website, at any time. This may be by disabling your
account or by giving you a notice (for example, sending you an
email or putting a note on the Website) to stop using the
- You promise not to access this Website or attempt to
re-register with this Website if you have been stopped from, or
asked to stop, using this Website.
7. OWNERSHIP OF THIS WEBSITE
- The contents of this Website, including all pictures, cartoons,
graphics, words, music and sound belong to D C Thomson or its
licensors (the people who have given permission to D C Thomson
& Company Limited to use that material), and are protected by
international copyright and other laws. You may not copy or use any
of it other than directly as part of the normal use of this
- Shout, The Beano and Commando are UK registered trade marks of
D C Thomson.
8. LINKS TO AND FROM OTHER WEBSITES
- Parts of this Website may link to other websites. D C Thomson
has no control over those other websites and you should read the
terms and conditions of use posted on those websites.
- Parts of this Website may link to Facebook. You must not use
Facebook unless you are 13 years of age or older, and you have
agreed to comply with the terms and conditions of Facebook. D C
Thomson is not related to Facebook and cannot be liable for
anything that is displayed on Facebook.
- You may not frame any part of our website, or link to any part
of our website other than its main pages (i.e. you must not link to
individual pictures or parts of pages). If we ask you to, you will
remove any link from your website to our website.
- DC Thomson may alter, remove or withdraw this Website or any
part of it (including anything that you add to it) at any time for
any reason, with or without telling you.
- DC Thomson may change these Rules at any time. You must make a
note of the "Last Updated" date at the top of this page and check
back regularly for updates. Your continued use of this Website
confirms your acceptance to any updated terms.
- This Website is provided free to use on the terms and
conditions set out in these Rules and therefore THIS WEBSITE IS
PROVIDED "AS IS". The material displayed on our site is provided
without any guarantees, conditions or warranties as to its
- DC Thomson cannot guarantee that this Website is free from
computer viruses or malware. You must use adequate and up to date
anti-virus and anti-malware software when accessing this
- To the extent permitted by law, we, other members of our group
of companies and third parties connected to us hereby expressly
- all conditions, warranties and other terms which might
otherwise be implied by statute, common law or the law of
- any liability for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or
damage incurred by any user in connection with this Website or in
connection with the use, inability to use, or results of the use of
this Website, any websites linked to it and any materials posted on
- loss of income or revenue;
- loss of business;
- loss of profits or contracts;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of data;
- loss of goodwill;
- wasted management or office time; and
- whether caused by tort (including negligence), breach of
contract or otherwise, even if foreseeable.
- This does not affect our liability for death or personal injury
arising from our negligence, nor our liability for fraudulent
misrepresentation or misrepresentation as to a fundamental matter,
nor any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under
- The Internet is not secure. Sometimes, internet service
providers or other third parties can and do intercept for
legitimate and illegitimate reasons. D C Thomson will not be liable
to you for any losses, costs or expenses that you suffer because of
this or any other action or inaction of any third party.
- You agree to be responsible for, and pay back to D C Thomson,
any losses, costs or expenses that D C Thomson suffers or incurs as
a result of you failing to comply with these Rules.
11. OTHER TERMS
- The Privacy Statement applies to the use of your personal data
in connection with this Website.
- The e-Commerce Terms and Conditions of Sale apply to any
purchases for goods that you make via this website.
- Other terms and conditions may apply where stated, for example
- You agree that these rules and your use of the Website
(including any non-contractual obligations arising out of them)
will be legally binding under the laws of England of Wales.
13. CONTACTING US
If you have any questions or comments or complaints about these
rules or this Website we would love to hear from you. You can
contact us as follows:
- By post to: DC Thomson & Co Ltd
THE BEANO - COMPETITION
1. Employees and their families of:
(i) D. C. Thomson & Co., Limited ("D. C.
Thomson") and other D. C. Thomson Group Companies
(ii) any company or sponsor associated with the
specific competition are not eligible to enter the competition.
2. Age restrictions may be specified for certain
3. Only one entry per person per competition is
4. Entries must be submitted in accordance with
the format specified by the competition. Proof of making a phone
call, sending an e-mail or posting is not proof of our receipt of
your entry and D. C. Thomson accepts no responsibility for lost,
delayed or damaged entries.
5. The closing date for entries will be specified
in each competition and winners will be notified within 28 days of
the closing date.
6. The Intellectual Property Rights in the
competition entry vests in D. C. Thomson. Entries cannot be
returned to entrants unless we specifically say so.
7. To obtain the name of the competition winners,
please send a stamped addressed envelope to:- The Beano D. C.
Thomson & Co., Ltd. 2 Albert Square Dundee DD1 9QJ Scotland UK
8. The successful entrants will be selected at
random by the editor. The editor's decision is final and no
correspondence will be entered into.
9. No cash alternative is available. The
promotion sponsors reserve the right to offer an alternative prize
of equal or greater value than that advertised.
10. Competition winners may be required to
participate in publicity.
11. The prizes offered in the competitions may be
provided by a sponsor or alternative promoter rather than D. C.
Thomson and in such circumstances D. C. Thomson does not accept any
responsibility for the accuracy of any prize descriptions supplied
by such third parties.
12. A third party providing the prize in any
competition may impose terms and conditions upon the use or the
acceptance of the prize. The winner shall be advised of these terms
and conditions prior to their acceptance of the prize.
13. D. C. Thomson may pass your details on to any
third party who may provide the prize for the purposes of sending
you the prize on behalf of the promoter.
14. D. C. Thomson reserves the right to amend
these rules at any time and a revised copy will be available on
15. Entry into the competition deems acceptance
of these rules.
16. The promoter is:
D. C. Thomson
Telephone 01382 223131