3 carrots (200g)
100g wholemeal flour
200g plain flour
3tbsp cocoa powder
1tsp baking powder
140g light muscovado sugar
For the topping
4tbsp icing sugar
2tbsp cocoa powder
400g cream cheese
½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Carefully peel then grate the carrots, being careful of your fingers.
3. In a mixing bowl, stir together the wholemeal flour, plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and cinnamon.
4. In a clean bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until combined.
5. Then crack in and beat the egg.
6. Tip the grated carrot and the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Stir well.
7. Roll the mixture into 24 balls, half slightly smaller than the rest.
8. Place the balls onto a lined baking sheet and press down gently to flatten them.
9. Bake for 15minutes until slightly golden. A skewer should come out clean when inserted.
10. Carefully remove the cakes from oven and allow them to cool.
11. Meanwhile, make your icing. Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a bowl.
12. Whisk in the cream cheese and vanilla extract.
13. Then spoon the mixture into a piping bag.
14. When your cakes have cooled, pipe a small amount of icing onto the larger cookies. Top each large cookie with a smaller cookie. The icing will act as your glue.
15. Then pipe a swirl of icing on top.